Saturday, May 9, 2009

Reflections of a Semester

When I think back to the beginning of the semester, I find that I've learned a lot about possibilities. In a mathematics class which I had with Brian Miller--the adjunct professor whom my group interviewed--I learned that there are often two types of applications of math. There's what's most common: Teachers inventing situations based their perceptions of reality. This version inherently leads to contrived situations that both artificial and hardly engaging. Specifically catered to the perceived interests of students, these applications deter students more than interest them.

Then there's the other form. It's not so common, but which is gain interest amongst educators. It turns the previous form on its head. Instead of inventing situations based on perceptions of reality, it takes actual situations and requires students to use critical-thinking and problem-solving skills to understand and provide solutions to them. Social Justice Math is but one exploration of this application-based approach, but an effective version, nonetheless. With Social Justice Math (SJM) students learn of power-relations in society, either by examining the microcosm inherent in their own day-t0-day life, or the macrocosm of our world and the injustices we tacitally accept. Rather than using newspaper articles or text books, however, students in sjm situations use something more powerful in understand the world and inequities: Math.

When I first came to MSU, I believed only in the first of these two applications. I had no notion of how I would even do the second. After this semester and my explorations both of the application approach to mathematics and social justice math, in both CURR 523 and Math 579, however, I view has changed. I see now that teaching Mathematics is full of potentially interesting, captivating topics that I can use to excite or intrigue my students. I can also make math into more than procedures, but of concepts, which ideally, is what mathematics is truly all about. But there's more. With this new tool, I see that I can show my students that mathematics is more than just right or wrong answers. It's about history, our past and where we've been . It's about the present, who we are and how we are. It's about future, where we're going and how we'll get there. It's about us. There are no right or wrong answers, here, only opinions.

Based on what I've learned this term, I've stopped seeing the teaching of mathematics as merely what it is. I've started to see it as it could, or someday, might be.

2 comments:

  1. I was curious about your final reflections as I have to admit, I avoid math as much as possible. I was an average math student and as I reflect back to my grade/high school years (60's-70's), I think that much had to do with the way it was presented. With the exception of one teacher, Mrs. Jorgenson, math was presented as a series of rote exercises with no apparent relevance to my world. That lack of enthusiasm on the part of the teachers transferred to me and I never felt a need to tackle math with the same passion as other subjects.

    After reading your reflections, I believe that your students will have a far different experience than I did. I fully encourage you to follow your thoughts and discover a new way to present math. Your students will love you for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very interesting to see how these two courses have had an impact on you. Clearly they have inspired a change in you that have not only affected you on a personal level, but that will transcend in your work as a teacher. The passion you have for wanting your students to be motivated and engaged in all that they do is something that has the power to produce nothing less than positive results. I have no doubt that you will become a great teacher. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete